Raph Koster, game designer and theorist, wrote a little piece on what he calls the life cycle of gamers. He adds to his insight some other related gamer cycle models that illustrate the attitude an individual takes in a virtual world. You are bound to feel identified with one of the profiles. Perhaps you’ll find out why gaming doesn’t feel like it used to!
- First Circle players are newbies who just want to survive.
- Second Circle players are competent, and start to feel like the game is “fun.”
- Third Circle players are excelling. They’re also often cheating, as they take on the tough stuff.
- Fourth Circle players are about proving their mastery by either killing other players or mentoring them.
- Fifth Circle players are “done.” They need new challenges, which they might get by an alt, RP, moving to forums, guild play, a whole new game…
- Sixth Circle players are enlightened Zen beings that understand everything and every mode of play and blend them seamlessly.
Identify yourself there?
If You Liked This... Share It!
Or share it by email or anywhere else with